Do you suffer from abdominal pain and altered bowel habits? Do you often suffer from constipation, diarrhoea, bloating or gas problems? Then you have IBS or irritable bowel syndrome. As per the doctors, the main form if treatment for this IBS is a proper diet. The diet works best of the IBS is diarrhoea prominent. If the IBS is constipation prominent then along with diet, there is necessity to take medicine as well. Though human body is unique and varies from one person to another, some specific food can cause problem in the body.
The food which are highly rich in fat, alcohol, spices, oil, and caffeinated can cause problem to the body. Again, some food like cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, beans, bagels, onions, peas, and sprouts can give rise to minor discomfort in the normal gastro-intestinal tract. These in the long run may result in abdominal pain, gas, and bloating.
Causes Of IBS:
Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a disorder in the gastrointestinal area. It involves chronic diarrehea in the person and persistent stomach cramps when food in taken. While it is not exactly know what causes IBS, studies show that people with a sensitive colon and poor response to stress can be prone to IBS. Certain foods however can trigger IBS in a person such as:
- Taking too much fiber intake can lead to loose stools and IBS
- Sorbitol foods like fruits, vegetables
- Alcohol can worsen the situation
- Heavy food
- Fried and oily food
- Flour based food
- Processed Food
- High Protein diet
- Dairy products
Symptoms of IBS:
Irritable Bowel Syndrome can identify using certain symptoms and requires a thorough medical diagnosis for treatment:
- Severe pain the abdomen
- Persistent Diarrhoea
- Uneasy and incomplete bowels
- Loss of appetite
- Food intolerance
Best IBS Diet Plan Recipe:
Though IBS treatment diet is highly individualized and no specific diet plan can fit all the people, a diet rich in fibre works best for everyone. You need to make sure that you are having meals on a regular basis. You should not skip meal during the day or night and should eat early at night. You should not gobble the food down while eating, rather take time. You should give yourself sufficient time to relax and also do regular exercise like swimming, walking or cycling. Check out the best diet for IBS based on different symptoms:
Diet for IBS Patients with symptoms of bloating and gas:
- You should intake fruit to three portions in a day.
- One portion of it should contain dry fruit.
- Also include a glass of fruit juice every day.
- You should also try to reduce the starch intake.
- Including golden linseeds and oats in the diet help with the bloating and wind symptoms.
- One portion of fruit or vegetables contain 1 apple, pear, orange or banana.
- You can intake 1 large slice of pineapple or melon.
- A handful of grapes, 1 tablespoon of apricots, raisins, figs or 3 tablespoons of fruit salad also prove to be good for health
IBS Diet for people with constipation:
- Some people include dietary fibre in the diet, which helps to get rid of constipation.
- But at the same time, it also tends to stimulate contractions, generate gas, bloating, and turns the symptoms into that of diarrhoea.
- So, to treat constipation problem, your diet should include fruits, whole grains, vegetables, oats, and golden linseeds.
- You should also intake sufficient fluid, at least 8 cups of fluid (non-caffeinated) in a day.
IBS Diet for people with diarrhoea:
- People suffering from diarrhoea lose body fluid.
- So, you need to drink plenty of water in a day.
- You can also opt for non-caffeinated drinks like sugar-free squash or herbal tea.
- You should not have more than 2 units of alcohol in a day.
- You should also limit intake of insoluble fibre in the diet, which include bran, wholegrain, nuts, seeds, and cereals.
- You should also avoid food high in fat.
See More:Diet For Psoriasis Patients
You should always consult your physician before starting the diet. If possible, make a diet chart with the help of a professional.
Foods to eat For IBS:
Irritable Bowel Syndrome diet is the one that comprises of foods which can offer relief to the irritated colon. The best foods to eat for people with IBS are:
- Lactose free milk like almond, soya milk
- Strawberries, melons, kiwi
- Lettuce, cucumbers, eggplant, potato
- Starchy foods
- Protein like tofu, beef, fish, chicken
- Low-fat food
Foods to Avoid For IBS:
If you are suffering from IBS, its important to maintain restrictions in your diet. To follow irritable bowel syndrome treatment diet, one must avoid:
- Lactose products
- Chickpeas, Lentils
- Broccoli, Cabbage, cauliflower
- Caffeine like coffee, tea
- Fried foods
- Processed diet
- Sugar-free artificial sweeteners
- Gluten based food
See More: Women Fertility Diet
IBS may not life threatening like the other gastro-related diseases. But, it can be quite annoying and can weaken a person over time. People suffering from IBS may have to constantly visit the bathroom a number of times, especially after eating food. This can be really stressful especially when you are at workplace or outside. The best way to deal with IBS is to seek medical help as soon as possible and also make certain changes in your diet. A healthy lifestyle can help you deal with this problem and make you lead a happy life again!