Treating oily skin can be costly if you get lost in all the high branded products and high prices that will probably help you in a moment. But they rarely do the job in the long run.
Fortunately, there are some home remedies for oily skin treatment, and – it will cost you almost nothing!
Table of Contents
- Reason For Oily Skin:
- Home Remedies for Oily Skin Treatment:
- 1. Clay
- 2. Cucumber
- 3. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4. Turmeric
- 5. Tomatoes
- 6. Milk
- 7. Lemon
- 8. Aloe vera
- 9. Papaya
- 10. Honey
- 11. Oatmeal
- 12. Egg white
Reason For Oily Skin:
Before knowing how to treat oily skin with home remedies, let’s look at the reason for having oily skin.
Our skin has sebaceous glands that are responsible for making sebum. Sebum is essential for healthy skin however, too much production of sebum leads to oily skin (1). This usually happens because of genetics, age, environment, hormones, and poor diet.
Oily skin problems can also be caused by high-stress levels or wrong skincare. Extra oiliness of skin often results in redness of the skin, development of acne and clogged pores.
Oily skin, acne, and breakouts are usually caused by impurities and dirt that builds upon the skin. This combined with excess oil produced by the glands results in clogged pores and irritated oily skin.
Although it is very hard to control and treat oily skin however certain home remedies for oily skin can do wonders in this regard. Now, let’s look at the oily skin remedies.
Home Remedies for Oily Skin Treatment:
Clay is one of the best home remedies that has been a part of skincare for centuries. One study found that a clay and jojoba oil mask greatly reduced acne (2).
Clay is rich in minerals which are considered beneficial for oily skin treatment because it has the quality of absorbing extra oil. French green clay is also known to be good for oily skin.
- How to use clay for oily skin: Add a teaspoon of clay with filtered water and mix until it forms a pudding-like consistency. Now, apply the clay paste to your face and leave it on until it dries. Remove the clay with warm water and pat dry.
It can be applied directly on the face without mixing any extra ingredient as it doesn’t cause any irritation. It can also be mixed with other ingredients such as milk or rose water.
Cucumber is an excellent home remedy for oily skin. It is rich in vitamins A &E. The astringents in cucumbers are good for tightening pores thus reducing the excess oil. Cucumber is very hydrating for skin it makes the skin glow.
- How to use cucumber for oily skin: For cucumber fack mask you need cucumber, eggs, all-purpose flour, and a blander. Peep and cut the cucumber, crack and stir an egg and mix with two tablespoons of flour. Now, it times to blend all ingredients. Apply the mask on the face and keep it until it gets dry. Wash after 10-12 minutes.
It can be mixed with lemon and honey to make a power-packed oil-controlling mask for your skin.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Ordinary vinegar can be very harsh for the skin. However, Apple cider vinegar when used in diluted form can help in treating oily skin. It has alpha hydroxyl acid which reduces sebum production and prevents clogged pores. The Apple Cider Vinegar should not be used directly on the skin.
- How to use apple cider vinegar for oily skin: Mix apple cider vinegar with filtered water. You can also add a few drops of essential oil. Apply the paste on your skin using a cotton ball. Leave it for a few minutes, and then rinse it off with cool water. You can use it once or twice a day as per your need.
Turmeric is a common food ingredient we have at our homes. However, the benefits of turmeric for healthy skin are also great. Turmeric controls oil and gives a glow to your skin.
In addition to this turmeric is also great for fighting acne due to its anti-inflammatory properties. It regulates the production of sebum thus treating the oily skin.
- How to use turmeric for oily skin: Take one tablespoon of gram flour and a half teaspoon of turmeric and mix them well. Add water to make a paste. Don’t make it too thin or it won’t hold on the face. Apply it on the face and leave it on for 15 minutes. Then wash it off with lukewarm water. It can be mixed with milk, yogurt, lemon, or honey to get more favorable results.
Tomatoes are rich in Vitamin B, and enzymes which are good for healthy skin. The antioxidants present in tomatoes help to naturally cleanse the skin and remove dead cells. Moreover, tomatoes can also regulate the pH level of your skin and controls sebum production.
- How to use Tomatoes for oily skin: Mix the tomato pulp with honey to get a smooth paste. Now, wash your face and apply the mask to damp skin. Leave it like for around 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with warm water, and pat dry.
Milk is not only good for bones due to high calcium levels. It also has been used for beauty treatments since ancient times. It has qualities that balance the skin. It removes oil fats from oily skin to control the oil. It also drives out the dirt and prevents breakouts and acne.
- How to use milk for oily skin: Apply raw milk to your face for a few minutes and rinse off properly. It gives a smooth finish to the skin.
Lemon is rich in vitamin C, it has antioxidants that help to give a naturally glowing skin. It is also good for closing the pores; besides, it tightens the skin hence acting as a good anti-aging agent.
According to a study, lemon is also anti-bacterial (2) and keeps the acne-causing bacteria away. However, it should not be applied directly to the skin as this can cause irritation.
- How to use lemon for oily skin: Lemon juice should be diluted with rose water or mixed with some other ingredients such as yogurt or honey. Apply it to your face, and leave it on until the mask dries. Then wash it off with warm water.
8. Aloe vera
Aloe vera can also be called a miracle or magical plant for many reasons. It has versatile benefits for a healthy body as well as healthy skin. Aloe vera juice is good for digestion and gel gives a soothing effect to the skin.
It has healing properties hence it can be used as a natural treatment for oily skin. It is an anti-microbial and natural cleanser for your skin.
- How to use aloe vera for oily skin: Apply aloe vera juice on the skin before going to bed and leave overnight. Wash off in the morning to get an oil-free face.
Papaya is a very beneficial fruit for digestion. It has potassium which is good for hydrating the skin giving it a natural glow.
A study has found that vitamin C present in this fruit prevents premature aging (3). The special enzymes in papaya called papain to remove dead cells and impurities.
The deep cleansing effect of papaya helps to control acne caused by oily skin.
- How to use papaya for oily skin: Mix 2 papaya slices, 2 tbsp curd, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and 2-3 spoons of lemon juice. Grind all the ingredients into a paste, and apply it with a flat brush. Leave it on for 30 minutes and wash it off.
A papaya face mask will remove excess sebum from the surface of the skin. This fruit can be mixed with honey and lemon to make a face mask.
Acne is caused by bacteria produced by excess oil on the skin. It has natural antibacterial properties that seal the natural moisture. Honey adds softness and exfoliates the skin. It is also very good for reducing the blemishes and discoloration caused by sun exposure.
- How to use honey for oily skin treatment: Apply some honey on your face for a few minutes to get a refreshed skin. Honey can also be used to make homemade DIY face masks mixed with lemon, yogurt, oats, or papaya.
Oatmeal isn’t just a healthy option for breakfast. This magical food acts as a perfect home remedy for controlling excess oil in the skin. It has anti-inflammatory properties hence helping to reduce redness and acne. Regular use of oatmeal can work to reduce the extra production of sebum. Moreover, oats also provide moisture to the skin.
- How to use oatmeal for oily skin: For an oatmeal face mask, all you will need is 1 tablespoon of blended oatmeal, 2 tablespoons of water. Now, properly mix water and oatmeal. Apply on the face and when the mixture is dry, wash face-off, and apply moisturizer.
12. Egg white
Egg whites are rich in protein, magnesium, and other minerals. It is great for oily skin treatment. The high protein in egg whites tightens the skin, shrinks pores, and acts as a natural anti-aging remedy by reducing the appearance of wrinkles.
- How to use egg whites for oily skin: When mixed with lemon it makes the best face mask for oily skin. Apply the mixture on the face till dry and wash with lukewarm water.
The best thing about these home remedies for oily skin treatment is that they are effective and don’t cost an arm and a leg. All of the above-mentioned remedies for oily skin treatment include our general kitchen items. These items can be mixed together to make face masks that provide the best result for controlling oily skin if used regularly.