Turmeric for Weight Loss: Best Way to Use and Benefits
Turmeric has been an integral part of traditional medicine and Asian cuisine for thousands of years. But did you know you can use turmeric for weight loss? Unlike many other supplements that aid weight loss, turmeric is a golden spice that gives you significant results without putting a hole through your pocket (1).
Curcumin is a compound found in turmeric. The anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants of this compound are attributed to turmeric’s health benefits (2). Read on to know more about how turmeric helps you lose weight.
- How Does Turmeric Help in Weight Loss
- Turmeric Benefits for Weight Loss
- How to Use Turmeric for Weight Loss
- Turmeric Dosage for Weight Loss
- Side Effects of Turmeric
How Does Turmeric Help in Weight Loss:
There are many reasons why people are obese, some chronic health conditions being some of them. Low-grade metabolic inflammation is one of the reasons why people are overweight. Turmeric has a polyphenol called curcumin that helps suppress white adipose tissue inflammation with its antiobesity and anti-inflammatory properties (3).
It also prevents insulin resistance, which in turn regulates the sugar levels in your body. Consuming turmeric regularly will protect people with obesity to prone to high sugar levels.
Turmeric helps regulate your body’s metabolism by increasing bile juice production, which helps emulsify fat (4). Using this wonderful spice in your diet, you can lose weight naturally, along with many other health benefits (5).
Turmeric Benefits for Weight Loss:
1. Prevents Metabolic Syndrome:
Turmeric prevents fat accumulation that is the leading cause of the metabolic syndrome. It also helps control many other chronic health conditions like blood sugar levels, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels.
2. Anti-inflammatory Properties:
Inflammation in your body causes fat accumulation. Turmeric can help you lose weight by reducing oxidative stress and its associated inflammation.
3. Aids in Digestion:
A healthy digestive system plays a vital role in maintaining a healthy weight. Turmeric helps you lose weight by eliminating digestive disorders like bloating, gas, and improper bowel movements.
4. Increases the Production of Bile:
Turmeric improves the digestive juice production called bile, which increases the metabolism in your body. It also emulsifies the excess fat, making you lose weight effectively.
5. Regulates the Blood Sugar levels:
It helps regulate the sugar levels in your body. Drinking turmeric tea regularly doesn’t let your body retain excess fat.
How to Use Turmeric for Weight Loss:
1. Regular Diet:
One of the quickest and easiest ways to consume turmeric into your diet is by adding it to your diet organically. It helps reduce the enzymes that cause inflammation, which is the root cause of many health issues. Some of the ways you can add the bright and lovely yellow to your food which healthily aid weight loss:
- You can add it to salad dressing or salad.
- You can roast veggies in this spice.
- Preparation of yellow rice is a feast to your eyes and tummy too.
2. Ginger Tea:
Turmeric has anti-inflammation properties, and ginger has gastroprotective and anti-flatulent properties. The combination of these two commonly available ingredients makes it a perfect option that aids in weight loss.
- One cup of water.
- ¼ spoonful of ground turmeric.
- ¼ spoonful of grated ginger.
- One spoonful of honey.
- ¼ spoonful of milk.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add the grated ginger and turmeric to the water.
- Let it steep for a few minutes.
- Strain the contents into a cup.
- Add milk and mix the contents properly.
- Finally, add the honey to it and drink it.
3. Golden Milk:
Golden milk, or commonly known as haldi wala doodh, is a common remedy many parents and grandparents use to treat many health issues. It is a perfect Turmeric (Haldi) drink for weight loss.
- One glass of milk.
- One spoonful of turmeric powder.
- Honey to taste.
- Take a glass of milk in a bow.
- Add a spoonful of turmeric once the milk is half-boil.
- Stir the milk so that there are no lumps of turmeric.
- Once the milk is boiled, you can add honey according to your taste.
Turmeric Dosage for Weight loss:
Turmeric is a spice that is part and parcel of cooking in many of our households. But if you want to use turmeric for weight loss, 500 to 2000 mg of it prove to be effective. Consuming turmeric in the long-term in high doses is not recommended (6).
Side Effects of Turmeric:
Anything that exceeds the limit can cause some side effects to be it something as natural as turmeric. A spoonful of turmeric in a raw form is very much safe. Although this spice’s pros are more significant than the cons, it is best to know its adverse effects. Some of the side effects are:
- Upset stomach.
- May cause an allergic reaction if you are allergic to turmeric.
- Kidney stones.
- May inhibit iron absorption.
We all have a goal weight in mind, and we strive to lose those unwanted pounds in many ways. But did you know there is a golden spice that accelerates the weight loss process? Yes! By incorporating turmeric into your daily diet, you can lose weight and retain the health of your body’s health naturally. Without further ado, use turmeric for weight loss, and don’t forget to let us know how it has helped you!
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article are mere suggestions and not a replacement for medical advice. The website is not responsible for the effects it may have on your body.
1. How Should We Use Turmeric for Better Absorption?
Ans: Cooking turmeric will promote the bioavailability of curcumin that enhances this spice’s properties for a short period. So, for maximum absorption of turmeric, you can add it to your favourite curry, or a latte, or even to your scrambled eggs.
2. When Should You Take Turmeric for Weight Loss?
Ans: There are two best ways you can consume turmeric to lose weight effectively.
- Prepare a fresh turmeric juice or tea before you eat your breakfast.
- You can drink a warm glass of turmeric milk before you go to bed.
3. Is Turmeric Safe to Consume with Other Medications?
Ans: Although turmeric is a healthy spice, that has no significant side effects. But it is better to consult a doctor before you consume it so that it doesn’t cause any reactions to the medications you take.