How to Do Akash Mudra (Space Gesture), Benefits and Side Effects.
Hand gestures or Hand mudras offer some essential yoga practices physical, mental, and spiritual benefits. To reap the benefits to your entire health, including these mudras into your daily yoga routine can be an ideal choice. Akash Mudra is a yoga mudra that naturally enhances the space element in our body—derived from the Sanskrit language, the word Akash means viewing and recognizing.
In this article, we have presented you with details that help you perform Akash Mudra at the comfort of your home. Read on!
What is Akash Mudra?
Akash means ‘sky’ or ‘space,’ and Mudra means ‘gesture’ in the Sanskrit language. The practice of this Mudra helps you combine the consciousness of an individual and the universe, which means Atma.
In Ayurveda, the Akash Mudra is used with yoga practices that help spiritual health. In addition, you can observe many Buddha statues with this Mudra. Shuni Mudra is another name given to Akash Mudra, and you can see the benefits when combined with yoga practices.
In this article you will be familiarized with a simple posture of your finger called as “mudra” we will be focusing on a single mudra “Akash mudra” or you can also name it as “Aakash mudra”. The yoga finger mudras are really very effective to prosper your health. The mudra are usually formed during the period of dhyana (when you concentrate to divinity). The mudra itself is sufficient to cure many types of health issues as well.
Read: Apana Mudra: What Is It And How Do You Use It?
Steps to do Akash Mudra:
Since Akash Mudra is associated with space, performing this hand gesture with meditation, yoga asanas, and deep breathing will give you tremendous results. Here are the simple steps you can follow to achieve this gesture efficiently:
- Sit down in a comfortable posture either in vajrasana, padmasana, or sukhasana.
- Place your hands on your thighs or the knees with your palm pointing upwards.
- Take some deep breaths while closing your eyes. Focus your mind on the breathing process.
- Now fold the middle finger and touch the tip of the thumb with the middle fingertips.
- Make sure to keep the rest of your fingers stretched as much as possible.
- Focus on your mind entirely by removing all thoughts from your mind.
- You can also chant the word OM if you wish to increase concentration.
- In addition, practicing this Mudra simultaneously on both hands is necessary.
- From the side, do not increase or decrease the speed of the breath.
- Every day performs this Mudra three times a day for 15 to 16 minutes or 45 minutes at a stretch.
The benefit of Akash Mudra is you can perform anywhere while sitting, standing, or even lying down. Although there is no specific time to complete this Mudra, 4 to 6 am perfect for efficient results.
You can practice Akash mudra in three sessions of 15 minutes in day or a minimum of 30 to 45 minutes at a stretch daily. However, Akash Mudra must be practiced for 50 minutes daily for therapeutic reasons.
Read: How to Do Apana Vayu Mudra
Benefits of Akash Mudra:
We have presented you with the list of all the emotional, mental and spiritual benefits associated with performing Akash Mudra:
- Lack of space element in the body results in issues like migraine states Ayurveda. Practicing the Akash mudra helps you overcome migraine by maintaining balance and significantly improves its symptoms.
- With regular practice of Akash Mudra, you can start feeling pain reduction in sinusitis with the gentle touch of the acupressure points.
- You can get peace of mind by helping you gain consciousness by practicing Akash Mudra.
- With the regular practice of Akash Mudra, there is an improvement in hearing power because it helps induce the centers of concerning nervous system’s nerve cells.
- Akash Mudra helps activate the throat (visuddha) chakra keeping it clear and accessible, eradicating all the problems associated with it such as jaw pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, etc.
- This Mudra helps keep your teeth and bones strong, reducing the occurrence of diseases related to bones by increasing the body’s calcium content.
- It also helps with tooth decay, hypocalcemia, osteoporosis, and involuntary shivering caused by a lack of calcium.
- Akash mudra helps detoxify your body, which helps maintain your heart health.
- Performing Akash mudra helps eliminate negative emotions like fear, sorrow, and anger giving you peace of mind.
Side Effects of Akash Mudra:
There are no explicitly mentioned side effects of performing Akash Mudra. However, you can stop practicing it if you find it difficult or uncomfortable. Always consult a professional, especially if you have any pre-existing health conditions. People with vata nature shouldn’t perform this Mudra because it might result in arthritis, skin dryness, or gas.
There are several benefits associated with both mental and physical benefits associated with Akash Mudra. When combined with yoga or meditation, Akash mudra yields efficient results. Don’t forget to let us know if you found this article helpful!
Read: Effective Yoga Mudra for Asthma Patients
Disclaimer: The content in this article is purely educational and based on research and not a replacement for professional advice. Take the guidance of a certified professional if you are unsure.
What are the precautions one must take while performing Akash mudra?
Ans: Although Akash mudra is beneficial, here are some precautions you need to take for it to work efficiently:
- People with vata nature need to be patient while practicing this Mudra.
- To avoid any discomfort, avoid applying too much pressure on your fingers.
- Keep all electronic gadgets away for a peaceful practice session.
- Don’t stress over becoming an expert in a go. There is a necessity to be patient.
2. What is Akash Mudra’s specialty?
Ans: You can deal with the cold by pressing the sinus points found in your hand’s middle finger. This results in strength, prosperity, and material happiness.
The middle finger is considered the finger of Saturn, according to scriptures. This results in intensified spiritual power when fire and Saturn meet.
3. Can anyone perform Akash Mudra?
Ans: Anyone can reap the benefits associated with Akash Mudra by practicing regularly. Although anyone can perform this Mudra, you can consult a professional to avoid mishaps.