Canker Sores: 25 Best Home Remedies for Mouth Ulcers
Mouth ulcers are annoying little blisters inside the mouth. They are also called Canker sores. Mouth ulcers are very common and don’t take long to clear up; however, there is no quick fix. It takes about a week to heal and sometimes takes longer. However, eating soft food with less spice can be much less troublesome. They can come up anywhere, either in the cheeks or gums or inside the lips. They are uncomfortable dealing with and hurt while consuming food and, in some cases, talking. Home remedies are the best treatment for mouth ulcers. They are easily available at home and are harmless. It is rare for mouth ulcers to be a sign of any serious health issue; however, if they come frequently or do not heal even after 3-4 weeks of treatment, it is recommended to ask for professional assistance.
What are the Causes of Mouth Ulcers:
- An injury can cause mouth ulcers, like accidentally biting.
- Excess acidic or spicy foods can cause mouth ulcers
- Poor-fitting dentures or braces could cause injury due to the edges and cause mouth ulcers.
- Excess heat produced by the body can cause mouth ulcers
- Deficiency of Vitamin B12, iron or folic acid and other nutritional deficiencies also caused mouth ulcers
- Viral, Bacterial or fungal infection or improper oral hygiene can cause Canker sores
- Lack of sleep or insomnia aggravates mouth ulcers
- Hormonal disturbances
- Food allergy
- Stress has many harmful effects and most commonly causes mouth ulcers
- Constipation or gastrointestinal diseases.
Common Symptoms of Mouth Ulcers:
- Some ulcers are more serious, also known as Herpetiform Ulceration, which looks like herpes but is not contagious. They are more painful and recur often.
- Mouth ulcers are painful lesions that can appear anywhere in the mouth. The most common places are the back of the lips or the inside of the cheek.
- They are usually red with white patches or just red.
- They hurt when you consume something spicy or crunchy.
What Type of Precautions have to Take:
- First and foremost, one should maintain a healthy oral hygiene. It is important to brush twice daily and gently mouthwash if you are prone to mouth ulcers.
- Avoid foods that cause the ulcers, like spicy food and foods that are more acidic.
- Stay stress-free, as stress can cause mouth ulcers.
- Avoid tools or foods with sharp edges that can cause injury.
- Drink plenty of water to keep the mouth clean, and it also flushes out all the toxins.
- Maintain a balanced nutritional diet.
- Sleep well.
Best Natural Home Remedies for Mouth Ulcers:
Let’s find here the top 25 list of home remedies to cure your mouth ulcers instantly.
1. Honey Application:
The anti-microbial properties and healing agents in honey make it a perfect home product to treat ulcers in the mouth. Honey has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties, which help in an easy digestion process and is also an excellent ingredient to cure mouth ulcers at home. Honey is safe for children and pregnant women to consume as it boosts immunity and is an excellent home remedy for food poisoning. Children under one year should not consume honey to avoid botulism.
- Take pure honey
- You can use turmeric to mix in it, too!
- You can either apply the honey directly on the ulcers or mix it with a little turmeric and use it.
- Use this twice daily for 2-3 days, and your mouth ulcers will be gone.
2. Fresh Coconut Milk:
Coconut milk is very safe and a very effective way to treat mouth ulcers. Coconut water or milk prevents dehydration and nausea and is good for health. It is healthy for children to drink coconut milk daily and it is a good cure for mouth ulcers.
- Grate some fresh coconut and extract the milk from it.
- To extract coconut milk, add the grated coconut to a mixer jar and add 1 cup of water.
- Grind until the grated coconut becomes one with the water
- Strain it using a muslin cloth, and your coconut milk is ready!
- Store it in an airtight jar and refrigerate.
- This freshly extracted coconut milk should be swished in the mouth 3-4 times daily until the ulcers subside completely.
- It is one of the most effective home remedies for mouth ulcers to use without much effort.
3. Poppy Seeds For Mouth Ulcers:
Have poppy seeds if you have mouth ulcers. Heating up the body is one of the reasons for mouth ulcers, and poppy seeds help the body cool down and soothe. This should be included in the meals or salads to get maximum benefits. This is the best home remedy for mouth ulcers. Poppy seeds are completely safe to consume during pregnancy, however in moderation. It is also safe for children to consume as it is good for digestion and improves bone health.
- Preparation Instructions: Poppy seeds are readily available in supermarkets. So pick a small packet of the same. You can ask for Kas Kas in Hindi or Gasaalu in Telugu.
- Usage Instructions: Add dry roasted poppy seeds to your curries or sprinkle some on the salads for maximum benefits.
Read: Home Remedies for Vertigo
4. Alternate Hot/Cold Treatment:
Hot and cold home remedy is absolutely for both children and pregnant woman. It is completely safe as long as it is not too hot to burn the skin or cause more trouble. This alternate hot/cold treatment will help reduce the ulcers and, finally the treatment.
- Take a glass of cold water and a glass of warm water.
- Ensure the water is lukewarm and you don’t end up worsening the ulcers with hot water.
- Keep a glass of cold water and a glass of warm water, and alternatively use it to gargle the mouth.
- Repeat this twice daily for two or three days to get the best relief from mouth ulcers.
5. Fenugreek Leaves:
Fenugreek seeds help with digestion in children and are very famously recommended for pregnant and breastfeeding moms for various factors. Hence, the fenugreek seeds are a natural remedy that is completely safe for healing mouth ulcers.
- Take about 2 cups of water, and to this, add a cup of fenugreek leaves.
- Soak for some time before you strain it
- Using this water, swish the mouth.
- It will definitely help in curing the issues of ulcers in the mouth.
- This is one of the best home natural remedies for mouth ulcers.
6. Orange Juice:
This is one liquid highly rich in Vitamin C. There are a lot of times when the deficiency of this vitamin leads to ulcers in the mouth. Orange juice contains Vitamin C which is excellent for children and hence completely safe treatment for mouth ulcers. Too much orange juice can lead to heartburn in pregnant women, well otherwise an excellent remedy for mouth ulcers. Pregnant women can still try out this remedy with moderate amounts.
- Take fresh oranges and using a manual or electric juicer, extract the juice.
- You could also pick up packaged orange juice with no added flavours or colours.
Usage Guidelines: Take fresh orange juice daily until you are assured of properly treating the ulcers. This orange juice surely cures your mouth ulcers.
7. Peppermint Oil:
Peppermint oil is great for getting rid of mouth ulcers. You will see quick and effective results in a couple of days of usage and you will see them vanishing in about a week’s time. Peppermint oil although it has many health benefits, is not recommended for pregnant women more than 2-3 drops. Children under the age of 6 should avoid peppermint oil.
Preparation Instructions: Take a few drops of peppermint oil and a clean cotton ball
- Dip the clean cotton ball in the peppermint oil and dab it on the mouth ulcers 1-2 times daily.
- Repeat until you see the ulcers gone.
8. Mulberry Juice For Mouth Ulcers:
A good and delicious way to follow a home remedy for mouth ulcers is to have fresh mulberry juice. It will surely help you get the right outcomes on the discomforting boils. Mulberry juice is very good for health because of its iron content. It is completely safe for children. Pregnant women should not consume mulberry juice as it is harmful to them.
- Mulberry juice is readily available in supermarkets.
- Buy a bottle of mulberry juice
- If you want to make it at home, buy fresh mulberries
- Wash them thoroughly
- Add them to a liter of water and boil them until they are tender and soft
- Once they boil well and the juice starts oozing, strain the water and keep aside.
- Now, take the mulberries and crush them well.
- Now, using a muslin cloth, strain the crushed mulberries well
- You can use this thick paste as it is or mix it with the water you strained and kept aside earlier.
Usage Guidelines: Drink mulberry juice daily and you will see your ulcers vanish!
9. Chew Basil Leaves:
Basil leaves have a lot of other benefits for the body if chewed. Gastric issues and bloating can also be treated with this aspect. It is one of the easiest natural herbal remedies for mouth ulcers. It is recommended that pregnant women consume basil leaves in moderation only. Basil is a very good source of nutrients, safe for children to consume, and an excellent home remedy for mouth ulcers.
- Preparation Instructions: Pluck fresh basil leaves from your backyard if you have a plant.
If you don’t have a plant home, you could pick a pack of fresh basil leaves from your local market.
- Usage Guidelines: Chew on 5-6 basil leaves each day followed by a sip of water. This is one of the easy and the right ways in which you can treat mouth ulcers.
10. Avoiding Acidic Foods And Drinks:
Acidic foods and drinks can enhance the ulcer and make it worse. Carbohydrate drinks, spicy foods and citrus drinks will come in handy while you’re fighting against mouth ulcers. These foods will also reduce the effects of mouth ulcers and eliminate the inflammation within the mouth. Chewing anti-acid tablets will also help in reducing the mouth ulcer. Pregnant women and children should completely avoid acidic food and drinks at all times. They also aggravate mouth ulcers.
11. Licorice Root:
Liquorice root is an amazing ingredient to fight mouth ulcers effectively. It is a plant from which sweet flavour is extracted. It is a really primitive technique for treating mouth ulcers but still used by people. Licorice in very small amounts is safe for children to consume. It is however not recommended for pregnant women.
- Licorice is available in the market but in specific stores. If you find it, well and good!
- Take the root part, crush it well and soak in two to three cups of water.
Usage Guidelines: It works great when you apply it in the mouth and rinse it afterwards. One can use this before going to sleep.
Read: Natural Remedies for Sinus
12. Sea Salt And Hydrogen Peroxide:
If you are looking for an instant and quick home remedy for mouth ulcers, combining sea salt and hydrogen peroxide is the best! Both sea salt and hydrogen peroxide have anti-inflammatory properties which will help in fixing mouth ulcer problems. It can cure mouth ulcers instantly. External application of this is fine but consuming it is unsafe for pregnant women or children.
- Preparation Instructions: All you have to do is add two tablespoons of sea salt to not less than 4% hydrogen peroxide to a glass of moderately heated water.
- Usage Guidelines: This fixes the mouth ulcer within one or two days. Get instant relief from the pain you’re going through.
13. Baking Soda for Mouth Ulcers:
Yes! Baking soda can treat mouth ulcers. It contains sodium bicarbonate which is helpful to treat the damage caused by acidic foods to the ulcer. It will neutralize the acid content which caused the ulcer and also eliminate all types of germs and bacteria present in the mouth. Baking soda can be consumed in limited quantities for children and pregnant women.
Preparation Instructions: Always buy and keep a small pack of baking soda handy at home!
- Take a little baking soda and place it on the ulcer. You may feel slight burning, don’t worry, that means the baking soda is working!
- Repeat this once or twice for 2 days and your mouth ulcers will be gone!
14. Aloe Vera:
Aloe vera has tons of internal and external benefits for the human body. It can fix a number of side effects caused due to mouth ulcers. It will take some time to cure the ulcer problem but the effect will last longer than all other remedies. Aloe vera is very good for health and has many health benefits in children. It is completely safe for children. Aloe vera increases uterine contractions due to which it is not safe to consume during pregnancy.
- Take two tablespoons of aloe vera.
- You can soak it too!
- You can use freshly extracted or edible aloe vera from the market.
- Apply the aloe vera on the mouth ulcer directly
- You can also eat raw aloe vera after soaking it in water.
15. Applying Sugar Candy On The Blister:
Here is an effective natural remedy for treating mouth ulcers. This remedy has been in practice for a long time and is considered one of the simplest and most inexpensive mouth ulcer home remedies. Sugar candy is very soothing and very good for treating mouth ulcers at home. Children love it and it does not cause any harm. Pregnant women can also consume it however in moderate quantities.
- Preparation Instructions: Take some edible camphor and add it with sugar candy. Sugar candy is also known as mishri which can be found in almost all departmental and daily need stores.
- Usage Guidelines: Eat the delicious sugar candy with camphor twice daily for 2 days and watch your mouth ulcers disappear.
16. Turmeric Powder Along With Glycerin:
We all are aware of the benefits and different uses of turmeric. When used with glycerin, turmeric powder can work great and give out an effective solution which can further be applied to the ulcer. Turmeric is the queen of spices and is very safe for pregnant women and children to consume. However, like any other spice, it is better to consume turmeric in moderate quantity.
- Preparation Instructions: For making the best mixture you will have to take one teaspoon of glycerin along with a small pinch of turmeric powder.
- Usage Guidelines: Apply this mixture on your mouth ulcers for two days, twice a day.
17. Celery For Mouth Ulcers:
This is one of the most important and easiest home remedies for mouth ulcers. This is probably one of the best home remedies for treating mouth ulcers which can done by anyone. The vegetable is loaded with vitamins B1, B2, C, etc. Celery has negative calories and helps the body lose excess water retention. However, this could cause dehydration hence if consumed by pregnant women or kids, it is better to drink adequate water too.
- Preparation Instructions: Take fresh celery, and wash it thoroughly
- Usage Guidelines: You can chew on celery and that will cure the ulcer problem. Chewing this vegetable for quite some time such as for 10 minutes will cure the mouth ulcer.
Consuming salad is one of the simple home remedies for mouth ulcers. Raw salad with tons of onions will help in reducing mouth ulcers. This will not have an instant effect but will surely reduce the mouth ulcer issue within a few days. Raw salads are best to avoid during pregnancy for the risk of viruses or bacteria, which die only when thoroughly cooked. It is safe for kids to consume salads as long as they are thoroughly washed.
- Take the vegetables of your choice.
- Tomato, onion, zucchini, cucumber, olives, tofu, carrot etc
- Wash them thoroughly and cut them into small pieces
- Add salad dressing to enhance the taste.
Usage Guidelines: Eat salads when you have mouth ulcers and you will get the best relief!
Plain yoghurt can cure mouth ulcers. However, this is not the only remedy you should look forward to. You cannot cure ulcers just by consuming yogurt. Yoghurt is very soothing and is completely safe to consume during pregnancy and also for kids.
- Buy a pack of plain yogurt from the supermarket.
- Before using it, take it out of the refrigerator and let it come to
Usage Guidelines: Along with other possible remedies, eat plain yogurt to enhance the curing process.
20. Ice Cube Tricks:
The application of ice is surely an effective home remedy for the ulcer. Alongside that, it is recommended that you use a soft toothbrush while you’re experiencing the ulcer problems. A hard toothbrush and a harsh way of brushing can make the condition of the ulcer a lot worse than it is now. Excessive use of ice cubes can potentially cause throat irritation in both pregnant women and children. However external application of ice cubes on the ulcer is soothing and causes no harm.
Preparation Instructions: Take an ice cube, fresh and clean
- Place the ice cube on the affected area. This will make the mouth ulcer go away and clean your mouth.
- Applying ice on the affected area will, however, give you a burning and tingling sensation which is natural but disturbing for a few people.
21. Cranberry Juice For Mouth Ulcers:
When will the berries come in handy? This is a tasty and easy way to treat mouth ulcers. If you’re looking for an easy natural remedy for treating mouth ulcers then this might be the perfect one for you. Cranberries should be avoided if you have gestational diabetes, otherwise, it is a great remedy to treat mouth ulcers among pregnant women and children.
- Take fresh cranberries and make juice out of them
- Or you could buy a bottle of cranberry juice which is plain and has no added flavours or colours.
- An easy way of treating the ulcer with this juice is to hold the juice for a while over the ulcer. At first, you will experience a bit burning sensation but later on, you’ll feel really great.
- Cranberry juice will reduce the redness within the mouth and eliminate the inflammation effect.
22. Cold And Chilled Water Tricks:
Gargling with warm and chilled water will definitely reduce the ulcer. Gargling with medium-heated water can reduce the redness and remove the inflammation as well. This is one of the best ways to treat mouth ulcers and keep the mouth clean. Cold and chilled water is one of the best natural remedies for mouth ulcers. This remedy is a safe and effective treatment of mouth ulcers in pregnant women and children.
- Take a glass of warm water
- Take a glass of cold or chilled water
Gargle with cold or chilled water and warm water alternatively to get rid of mouth ulcers quickly!
Read: Warts Removal Home Remedy
23. Raw Tomatoes:
Raw tomatoes can also reduce mouth ulcers. They are more beneficial than the cooked form of tomato. You can get rid of mouth ulcers by using raw tomatoes. Raw tomatoes are not recommended for pregnant and children woman unless thoroughly washed. They may contain toxins that are harmful to their health.
- Take a raw ripened tomato, wash it thoroughly and cut it in half.
- Also, you can grind the tomato to extract juice
- An effective way of using raw tomato is to gargle the mouth with tomato juice
- Or you can keep a small piece of tomato in your mouth touching the ulcer.
24. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar is another excellent home remedy for mouth ulcers. The acid present in ACV kills any bacteria that cause mouth sores. It is safe to use apple cider vinegar during pregnancy and for a child in limited quantities. There is no much evidence of the ingredient being harmful but it is still recommended to consume in moderate quantities.
Preparation Instructions: Take a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and at it to a cup of water
Usage Guidelines: Use the solutions as a mouthwash. This will help keep the mouth clean.
25. Adequate Water:
Adequate water is the best remedy for any and most of the ailments. It flushes out all the toxins in the body and is the best home remedy for mouth ulcers. Water causes no harm whatsoever to anyone and has several benefits. You can add a few drops of mint oil for extra freshness. It is easily available and most accessible in any kitchen. It is completely safe and in fact, recommended for pregnant women and children to consume as much water as possible. Water is one of the best natural remedies to cure mouth ulcers.
Other Tips to Get Rid of Canker Sores:
- The Wet Tea Bag: When you’re already sore, try some handy items to cure your sore. For instance, a wet tea bag. If you use normal powder tea in containers, put some in a soft muslin cloth or buy some tea bags from your grocery and after you’re done using it for tea, the wet tea bag can be pressed against the canker. Tea contains tannic acid which along with reducing the pain also cures the ulcer.
- Aloe Vera: You see the aloe vera plant decorated on your terrace. It’s time you cut a leaf and use it for some benefit. The aloe vera pure gel has special attributes in curing your ulcer immediately. Just keep applying and reapplying the gel from the inner flesh of the plant leaf to your inner lip.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda, salt and hydrogen peroxide mix is a good pack to treat the ulcer. Just mix it into a pack, a little such as one spoon of everything and then apply it to the affected area. If the solution is too strong dilute it with water.
- Onions: A simple onion is also a nice cure to it. A raw piece of onion when held against the canker may cure it. The herb sage we use in dressings and cooking is also a prominent cure.
- Alum: Other than that a simple ice or alum available from your nearby store can help you cure your sore. Alum immediately reduces the redness along with the pain.
- Milk of Magnesia and Benadryl: While Benadryl has a mild anaesthetic effect, both the components have soothing coating abilities that cover the sore forming a layer on top which also reduces pain during friction and thus helps.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q1. Is a Mouth Ulcer Caused due to Nutritional Deficiency?
1. Mouth ulcers can also be caused by nutritional deficiency.
2. Deficiency of Vitamin B12, Zinc, folic acid, and iron can cause mouth ulcers.
3. An impaired immune system is also an underlying cause of mouth ulcers.
Q2. What is the Difference Between Mouth Ulcer and Mouth Cancer?
Ans: There is a lot of difference between the two.
- Mouth ulcers are painful while cancer is not
- The ulcer looks like a red boil with a white patch; cancer looks like a white patch.
- Ulcers are soft while cancer would be hard and rough to touch.
Q3. What are Basic Oral Hygiene Techniques to Avoid Mouth Ulcers?
Ans. Good oral health can avoid mouth ulcers.
- Brush regularly twice a day
- Rinse using a gentle mouthwash or make one at home
- Get a dental check regularly
- Keeps teeth and gums healthy
- Avoid foods that could cause any injury.
Home remedies serve as the best and first aid for any ailment. It is the first and most important step to treat any disease. Most of the ailments can be cured with just natural remedies at home. They are all easily accessible and completely natural. Precautions should be taken by pregnant women and children as recommended and apart from that these remedies do not cause any harm.