9 Best Methods and Steps to Eliminating Mice from Home
Is your house swarming with mice? Are they lurking in the corners and waiting to attack at nights? Wondering how to get rid of a mouse forever? Before you are tempted to pull in a treacherous mouse trap and tear it to pieces, read this article! Mice may not be your best friends, but there are non-violent methods to drive them out of your house. They are wonderful alternatives to rat poison or chemicals, which may end up harming your own children. We recommend trying these fool-proof natural remedies to get rid of them!
Reasons for Mice Infiltration in Homes:
Have you wondered why or how mice enter your house? Here are the reasons:
- A cluttered, unclean home attracts pests, including mice.
- These creatures enter homes from tiny cracks in the walls or through bathroom pipes in search of food and shelter.
- Their body shape allows them to crawl through the smallest of holes or gaps
- A damp, dark and warm room invites mice and offers them the right breeding environment.
- Keeping food items in open places or unclosed garbage containers in the corners increase the chances of mice in the house
What are the Ways to Get Rid of Mice from Home?
There are several methods you can use to get rid of mice:
- Traps: You can use mouse traps, either the traditional snap trap or live catch traps, to trap and remove mice from your home.
- Poison: You can also use poison bait stations, but be aware that this can pose a risk to children, pets, and non-target wildlife.
- Repellents: There are also ultrasonic repellents, which use high-frequency sounds to repel mice, but the effectiveness of these devices is often disputed.
- Exclusion: One of the most effective ways to prevent mice from entering your home is to seal up any holes or cracks that they might be using as entry points. This can be done with steel wool, caulking, or mesh.
- Natural Remedies: Some natural remedies, such as mint or cinnamon, can also repel mice.
How to Get Rid of Mouse at Home using Natural Methods?
Here are some tried and tested natural remedies to get rid of mice from your home:
1. Mashed Potatoes to Get Rid of Mouse:
If you are wondering how to get rid of mouse in house using a natural ingredient, try Potato! Starchy potatoes taste very delicious and an important ingredient of meals, but mashed potatoes are very dangerous for these rodents. As the flakes of potatoes get expanded in their stomach and do not get digested and kill them, making you rid of them. So sprinkle two or three tablespoons on the surface where you suspect mice to arrive and see the miracle happening. Just for safety see the children or pets do not eat those scattered ones.
See Also: Ways To Get Rid of Lizards from House
2. Magical Cloves to Get Rid of Mouse:
Cloves is an essential spice in Asian cuisine as it enhances the taste of food, but it smells unappealing to mouse and force them to switch to other places, thus an easy natural way to move them out of your lovely secured house. You can place wholesome cloves and place them strategically in your home and if possible, cover them with some cotton clothes. Instead of this you can pour 20-30drops of clove oil in a cotton ball and place them on the place where you suspect that is mice entrance points. Change the ball in 2-3 days as the smell evaporates.
3. Place Kitty Litter to Get Rid of Mouse:
Wish to know how to remove mouse from the house? Try Kitty Litter! Mice are scared of the cat, so if they smell cat is there in that house, they would quickly run out of that house. So, you can place cat litter at the entry point of the house or place you suspect that it enters and see them running away from your home. You can easily get these litters from pet’s shops or online and easily get rid of these nasty rodents.
4. Pepper Mint Oil to Get Rid of Mouse:
One of the best home remedies to get rid of mice is Peppermint Oil. You would be a great fan of mint fragrance, but this mouse run miles as they smell them as it pretty difficult for them to withstand this great scent. If you want you can plant some mint plants in the garden area and near to entrance and can easily drive away from your home. To use peppermint oil to get rid of mice, you can also put peppermint oil in a cotton ball and place them at entry points of mouse and easily deter them away.
5. Use Human Traps to Get Rid of Mouse:
These are another method through which you can catch hold the mouse alive and throw them out of the house. These methods have been used for decades as they work out fantastically. In the market and online you get many traps in which can you insert their favourite food item and leave it and as soon the mice enter it gets entangled into it and then you can reuse it in the future also. Just ensure you should wash it before reusing and again plot a scene to catch hold of these tiny ones. This is the best way to get rid of mice in your house.
6. Sprinkle Ammonia to Get Rid of Mouse:
Ammonia is the most effective way to get rid of mice. The strong smell of ammonia alerts the mouse and they think that this smell is of their predator’s urine and leave that place very fast. In small containers do small homes so that the gas gets released and place some ammonia and place these containers in the path from which the mouse enters. After smelling its strong smell, it would never enter the house again. Just be cautious with kids and pets that they don’t lift these containers.
7. Effective Onions to Get Rid of Mouse:
Onions are the best way to get rid of mice in the kitchen. Onions have a deadly pungent smell which many pets cannot withstand and they run away and leave your premises. Dice the onions into two pieces and keep them on the places where you suspect the mice entry points. Change the onions in a week as the pungent smells start eroding and watch the mouse leaving your house. This is the most humane way to get rid of mice.
8. Mix of Cocoa Powder and Plaster of Paris to Get Rid of Mouse:
The mixtures of two work superbly and keep these hazardous mice away from your house.
Take equal quantities of plaster of Paris and cocoa powder or chocolate powder as per the availability. Make a small ball or set the mixture in a place from where the mouse enters. The mouse will get attracted towards chocolate powder and as soon as they eat, they will leave the house in search of water and die very soon also.
See Also: Home Remedies for Mosquito Bite
9. Spray of Tabasco sauce and Detergent to Get Rid of Mouse:
Use this powerful spray to get rid of mice which work like magic:
- Mix three teaspoon of soap detergent with one tablespoon Tabasco sauce with some water and mix it properly and pour it in the spray bottle.
- Spray on the floor where you suspect his route and after smelling it, would feel comfortable and leave the house easily.
These home remedies to get rid of mice can ensure a rodent-free home. However, they cannot guarantee a reentry of mice, unless you take extreme precautions. Make sure to seal all the open gaps or cracks in your walls and ceilings. Call a plumber and get your drainage pipes fixed. The most important aspect that can repel rats from your home is to keep it clean and minimal. Throw away useless stuff and unclog your home to say goodbye to mice!
1. What Is The Average Lifespan of a Mouse?
A mouse typically lives for 18 months. Depending on the size and the type of the mouse, the lifespan differs. The main challenge with mice is that they can reproduce at a very early age of 2 months and can breed up to 6 to 10 times a year. They form nests in the gaps of the walls or in dark corners. This is why it can get nearly difficult to drive out mice permanently from your home.
2. Do Mice Bite People?
Mice usually fear humans. However, there are many cases where mice have attacked small children or bedridden people. A single bite from a mouse can infect your body with millions of bacteria. Mice bites are also responsible for many deaths due to rabies. If you suspect a bite from a mouse, you must take an anti-rabies shot within 24 hours.
3. What Is The Best Material to Deter Mice?
Mice have very sharp teeth which can bite through almost anything. However, steel wires are difficult to chew, which is why most plumbers recommend closing the drains with SS mesh. You can use them to close gaps in the ceiling and flooring using steel or galvanized wire mesh.
Note: It is important to note that mice can carry diseases and can cause damage to your home and belongings, so it is best to deal with a mouse infestation as soon as possible. If the infestation is severe, it may be best to seek the services of a professional pest control company.