Hair is an integral part of our human body, from a baby to an older person whereas hair loss is real! As real as the hair on your head! Everyone must have faced this issue, and some of our stress adds to the hair loss. There are several exercises to reduce hair loss and help with hair growth. These workouts have a positive effect on your hair as they increase blood flow to your scalp aiding in hair growth.
Does Exercising Make Your Hair Grow Faster?
Having a healthy body is a matter of confidence and prolongs your life. Performing exercises regularly promotes healthy hair growth. Working out makes the pores in your scalp open up and increases blood flow to your scalp and massaging your head is the best example. Several exercises release essential oils into the scalp.
Exercise Benefits For Hair:
- One of the primary reasons for hair loss is stress. Exercise releases endorphins, also known as a happy hormone that help you relax.
- Workouts help stimulate blood flow to the scalp enriching the hair follicles with nutrients.
- Along with blood flow, workout sessions targeting hair growth, increasing oxygen flow to the scalp, increasing the nourishment to your hair.
Causes Of Hair Loss:
Several factors contribute to hair loss in a person. Typically we lose about 100 hairs per day, but that doesn’t show much effect as there is new hair growing simultaneously. Hair loss becomes an issue when there is a disruption in this cycle. Here are some reasons that affect hair loss.
- This is one of the most common causes of hair loss, also called male or female pattern baldness. It occurs gradually with a receding hairline in men and thinning of hair in women.
Medical Conditions & Hormonal Changes:
- Due to hormonal changes during pregnancy and post-delivery, many new moms face hair loss problems. Some medical conditions, like alopecia areata, also cause hair loss in patches.
- Hairloss can be a side effect of using some drug ailments like cancer, depression, heart problems, etc.
- Sometimes, stress-inducing events result in hair loss, though it is temporary.
- Hair treatments and Styling your hair frequently with chemical products is a significant cause of hair fall.
Effective and Best Exercises For Hair Growth:
Here is a collection of scalp exercises for hair growth that prevent hair loss. Take a pick and start right away.
1. Scalp Massage:
Head massage is a simple, inexpensive, and essential hair growth exercise. This process increases blood flow to your scalp by opening up the pores on your head. Hair follicles receive much-needed nourishment and improve hair quality too. It also helps you relax, reducing stress, thereby helping in hair growth.
- Select an oil rich in nutrients and warm it up.
- Part your hair in the middle and apply oil onto your scalp with your fingertips.
- Start with gentle strokes, distributing oil all around the scalp.
- Increase the intensity of strokes to improve blood flow.
Running is a form of workout that releases fat and unnecessary toxins in the form of sweat. Our skin is full of pores, and it depends on us how effectively we use them. We all take care of the skin on our face, hands, and legs. But often neglect the pores on our scalp. Perspiration that happens during running proves to be a useful exercise for hair growth. Try to start your day by jogging for at least half an hour a day.
3. Neck Exercises:
Neck exercises are the best ways to help you with hair growth. Use these stretches to release the tensed muscles and stress around the neck. It also keeps your neck injury-free.
- Stand straight with your hands relaxed on the sides.
- Now, slowly bend your head forward and bring it back, extending it as much as possible; you can feel the stretch in the neck.
- Extend your head sideways on each side, stretching on each side for at least 10 seconds.
4. Side To Side Hops:
Side to side hops is an exercise that helps your hair grow faster and also keeps your cardiovascular health in check. As with any workout, these exercises are valid only when they are done regularly.
- Stand erect with a gap of hip-width between your feet.
- Place your in such a way as if you are jogging.
- You need to make sure that you have space for the jump.
- Slightly bend and jump sideways as much as your body allows.
- Repeat the same process on both sides.
5. Brushing Hair:
Brushing hair is a daily activity part of everybody’s life. How would you feel if you know that proper brushing your hair will lower hair loss? The natural oils in your scalp are spread to the hair strands by using a boar-bristle brush. Brushing your hair also stimulates blood flow to the scalp providing rich nourishment to the hair follicles, ensuring hair growth.
Best Yoga Poses For Hair Growth:
Yoga is a proven way to improve overall health and also work effectively for hair growth as well. Here we enlisted, some best yoga poses for hair growth. Let’s have a look into them.
6. Nadi Shodhan Pranayama (Alternate Nostril Breathing):
Nadi Shodhana Pranayama or alternate nostril breathing is a perfect yoga pose if you want to reduce hair fall induced by stress. Your body enters into a relaxed phase therein improving hair growth and reduces hair loss.
- Sit down on a yoga mat with your legs crossed and hands relaxed on the knees.
- Slowly take a deep inhalation and then exhale, completing a typical breath sequence.
- Now fold the index and middle finger touching your palm.
- You have to use the thumb to close the right nostril and the little finger and ring finger to close your left nostril.
- Take inhale from the right nostril and close it with your right thumb and exhale from the left nostril.
- Now inhale from the left nostril and close it with the ring and little finger. Then exhale from the right nostril.
- This procedure completes a cycle of Nadi shodhan pranayama.
7. Pavanamukthasana (Wild Relieving Pose):
Pavanamukthasana is a yoga pose that helps relieve gas by promoting a healthy digestive process. The digestive system being clean, your hair growth will be healthier and stronger.
- Lie straight on your back with hands on either side.
- Now slowly fold your knees up to your chest and hold them with your hands.
- Hold them there for 10 seconds and then bring your legs back to the initial position.
- Repeat the same process 10 to 15 times.
8. Pandangusthasana (Big Toe Pose):
- Stand straight with a little distance between your feet and hands relaxed on the sides.
- Now place your hands parallel to the ground and put them on either side of the body.
- Slowly lift your right leg till it touches your fingertips. This forms a 90-degree angle between your legs.
- Hold yourself in this position for 10 seconds.
- Repeat the same procedure alternating between your legs.
9. Balayam Yoga (Rubbing Nails):
There are some acupressure points in our body when utilized appropriately can work wonders. Balayam is a yoga asana where massaging of the acupressure points related to hair growth is done with fingertips. This is an excellent hair growth exercise. Balayam yoga also treats dandruff and premature greying of hair.
- Rub all of your fingernails on both the hands except the thumb.
- Rub against each other as hard as possible.
- Roots of the nails are connected to hair follicles, and the pressure supplies the scalp with nutrition for hair growth.
- Perform this procedure for an hour a day in intervals of 15-minutes.
10. Uttanasana (Standing Forward Fold Pose):
Uttanasana is a forward bending exercise for hair growth. It relaxes your body, relieving it from stress and anxiety, which are some of the leading causes of hair loss. When you bend down to perform this pose, your head stays hanging below your heart, stimulating blood flow to your scalp.
- Stand straight and raise your hands into the air.
- Now slowly bend and try to touch your feet with your fingertips.
- Remember to keep your knees straight without bending.
- It will be difficult to touch your feet without bending your knees at first.
- Doing it regularly for five to ten times a day is beneficial.
11. Vajrasana (Diamond Pose):
Vajrasana also called a diamond pose, is a simple asana that is explicitly done after lunch or dinner. Along with an excellent digestive system, it also prevents hair loss and aids in hair growth. People with joint pains should avoid this asana.
- Kneel on the floor for starters.
- Now slowly place your buttocks on the heels and sit comfortably exhaling.
- Place your hands on your thighs and adjust yourself until you find a comfortable position.
- Sit in this position for as long as you can.
12. Ushtrasana (Camel Pose):
Ushtrasana also called a camel pose as your body forms the shape of a camel while performing. It helps rejuvenate the blood cells in your scalp resulting in hair growth.
- Sit on your knees with your hands placed on your waist with thumbs placed back.
- Slowly bend backwards and hold your feet with your hands.
- Hold yourself in this position for 30 seconds.
13. Shirshasana (Headstand Pose):
This asana helps increase blood flow in the scalp stimulating hair growth. The nutrients in blood nourish your scalp, thereby preventing hair loss. It is tough to perform this pose correctly initially, but with regular practice, you can cure disorders like insomnia.
- Initially, it is best to use a wall to balance yourself until you are confident enough to perform without support.
- Sit down on your knees on a yoga mat.
- Place your hands in front crossing your fingers.
- Bend forward and place your head in the hands where your fingers are crossed.
- Now slowly lift your body, giving your legs a push.
- You can place your legs on the wall to balance yourself.
- Once you have mastered the pose, you can perform this without the support of the wall.
Sarvangasana helps regulate the thyroid gland and supplies governs the working of the thyroid gland and supplies blood, rich with nutrients to the scalp resulting in the growth of hair. This is the best pose for people suffering from hormonal imbalances.
- Sleep with your back on the floor with your knees straight all the while.
- While exhaling, hold your waist and try to extend your body upward as far as possible.
- This puts pressure on your body on the shoulders, arms, and elbows.
- Try to stay in this position for 5 to 10 seconds.
- It might be challenging to achieve this pose at first, but with practice, you can achieve tremendous results.
15. Kapalbhati Pranayam:
Kapalbhati is a well-known breathing exercise that oxygenates your body. It also helps repair the damaged hair by providing the oxygen needed by the scalp. It aids the digestive process and cures hair loss problems.
- Sit down with your legs crossed, similar to meditation posture.
- Try to relax and close your eyes.
- Expand your chest by inhaling deeply through your nostrils.
- Evacuate breath forcefully contracting the muscles in your abdomen and then relax.
- Do the whole process without straining yourself.
- Continue forceful exhalation and slow inhalation completing Kapalbhati exercise.
16. Rabbit Pose:
Rabbit pose or Sasangasana is one of the best techniques to make your hair grow well. In this yoga pose, the crown of your head touches the ground enabling blood flow to the scalp area, which results in healthy hair growth.
- Kneel on the floor with assistance from hips and heels.
- Slowly move your head forward, your crown touching the floor, and hold your heels with your hands.
- Inhale and exhale appropriately during the whole process.
- Now slowly remove your hand from the heels and lift your head to the kneeling posture.
- Repeat this pose 10 to 15 times.
- Remember to breathe correctly during these poses for making them successful.
17. Downward Dog Posture:
The downward dog pose is an exercise that improves hair growth. It is possible as your head hangs downward, supplying healthy blood flow to the scalp stimulating hair follicles promoting hair growth.
- Stand erect with the hip-width gap between your legs.
- Put your hands above your head, facing the sky.
- Slowly bend your lower abdomen as far as possible, putting your arms forward palms facing down.
- Try and stay in this position for 10 to 20 seconds.
- Repeat ten times initially.
18. The Fish Posture:
Fish pose or matsyasana is beneficial for the healthy growth of hair, and it is straightforward to perform too.
- Sleep on the floor on your back.
- Fold your legs and place your hands under your buttocks, palms facing the ground.
- Now slowly lift your middle part of your upper body and angle your head backwards.
- Make sure that the crown of your head touches the ground forming an arch.
- Hold yourself up for a few seconds in this position and keep breathing.
Tips For Hair Growth Faster:
- Try to avoid hairstyles that are tight and do not use elastic as it snaps the hair as you move.
- Eating the right food is also necessary, along with exercises. Increase foods rich in iron, omega-3, and vitamin A to recharge your follicles, promoting healthy hair.
- Keep your scalp hydrated by consuming a lot of water. Not drinking enough water make your hair strands dull and brittle.
- Try to avoid heat tools.
- Brush your hair as gently as possible without pulling.
Exercises for hair growth show results only when you do it regularly. With the list of activities targeting hair growth, you can achieve the desired results in a month or two. Try to avoid stress-free and stay relaxed as these exercises work only when you are stress-free. Select any activity in the 18 best exercises for hair growth and start working out.
Let us know if you still have any doubts or concerns about these exercises for hair growth. We would love to assist you with the best solutions and answers.