Are you a curly-haired beauty? Then you must know the dreaded issue of frizzy hair. We put in a lot of effort in getting ready, and within minutes you can observe the bird’s nest in the place of your hair. Worry no more! With the home remedies for frizzy hair mentioned in this article, you can treat your frizzy hair naturally in the comfort of your home.
Although many of us blame it on the texture of our hair and brush it off, it is time we take the needs of our hair seriously and provide it with much-needed care. But this doesn’t mean you have to go out and spend thousands of bucks. Deal with frizzy hair issues by including the home remedies mentioned in this article. Read on to know more!
What Causes Frizzy Hair?
Here are some of the reasons that cause frizzy hair:
- Dryness and dehydration of the hair.
- Imbalance of moisture in the hair follicles.
- There is an increased chance of dullness and dryness of hair if there is shampoo usage too often.
- If you use your blow dryer too often.
- Lack of proper nourishment or eating junk foods.
- There is a chance of the entanglement of hair causing frizz if you don’t brush your hair before taking a shower.
- Your hair can have a frizz if you use products with chemicals, bleaching, or excessive usage of a flat iron.
Home Remedies for Frizzy Hair:
We present you with some of the home remedies for dry and frizzy hair you can try without having to spend too much money:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar can be a perfect anti-frizz treatment at home. It makes your hair more adept at holding moisture by opening up the cuticles. It also balances the PH level in your hair. Using Apple cider vinegar once every week adds a beautiful shine to your hair by eliminating dirt and grease buildup.
- Two tbsp of Apple cider vinegar.
- Two cups of water.
- Take a jug of cool water and mix the apple cider vinegar in it.
- Keep the jug aside.
- First, wash your hair with mild shampoo.
- Use the diluted ACV to rinse your hair.
- Let it stay in your hair for a few minutes.
- Condition your hair with a conditioner of your choice.
- Use this treatment once a week for frizz-free hair.
2. Coconut Oil:
If you are looking for a natural way to reduce frizzy hair, coconut oil is a perfect option. The high amounts of lauric acid present in coconut oil reduce protein loss and add moisture to your hair (1). Coconut oils get easily absorbed when applied to the hair. To reduce frizz and add moisture, use a small amount of coconut oil either as a pre-wash or post-wash treatment. Regular use of coconut oil makes your hair stronger and healthier due to the presence of a chain of fatty acids.
- Four tbsp of organic coconut oil.
- Gently massage your hair and scalp by taking a small amount of coconut oil into your palms.
- Let it stay for about ten minutes.
- Remove the coconut oil by washing your hair with a mild shampoo.
- You can also use coconut oil as an overnight mask.
Caution: Use an old pillowcase for your pillow if you are using coconut oil as an overnight treatment.
3. Argan Oil:
Argan oil is a rich source of oleic acid and linoleic acid, which acts as moisturizing agents, making your hair much more manageable (2). It also prevents the splitting of your hair, making it smooth and soft, making it a natural hair treatment for frizzy hair. Although there is no scientific research, it is believed that argan oil protects our hair from heat damage.
- Few drops of argan oil.
- Wash your hair with shampoo.
- Before styling, add a few drops of argan oil to the wet hair.
- Distribute the oil from tips to scalp evenly.
- To disperse the oil nicely, you can use a comb.
- Your hair might look greasy if you use too much oil, so use only a few drops of oil for effective results.
[ Also Read: Argan Oil for Hair Growth ]
Avocado is an inexpensive frizzy hair treatment at home. It helps repair the damaged hair by nourishing it with vitamins B and E in it (3). the combination of yogurt and avocado conditions your hair and cleanses it, giving you beautiful and frizz-free hair.
- One ripe avocado.
- One cup yogurt.
- Slice the avocado and throw away the pit.
- Place the avocado and yogurt in a bowl.
- Mash them together to form a smooth paste.
- Gently apply the creamy mixture to your hair.
- Leave it on the hair for about 40 minutes.
- Use a mild shampoo and lukewarm water to wash your hair.
- Finish it off with a conditioner.
- Using this mask twice every week will give you effective results.
The high amounts of vitamins, biotin, and saturated fats make your hair healthier and shinier. Although there is no research to prove the effectiveness of eggs in reducing your hair’s frizz, many people believe that an egg hair mash works well in making your hair frizz-free.
- Two eggs.
- Prepare a frothy mixture by whisking the eggs.
- Gently apply the egg mixture to the hair from tips to the scalp.
- Use a hair cap to cover your hair.
- Let it stay on the hair for about 15 minutes.
- Use a mild shampoo to wash your hair thoroughly.
Caution: Avoid using this remedy if you are allergic to eggs.
6. Almond Oil:
The antioxidant properties and high amounts of vitamin E present in Almond oil keep your hair healthy by combating the free radicles. It also helps keep moisture locked in your hair shaft with its emollient properties (4). Warm almond oil nourishes and conditions your hair by penetrating the follicles and hair shaft. It is another natural way to get rid of frizzy hair since almond oil restores luster and smoothens the cuticles.
- Two to three tbsp of almond oil.
- Take a bowl and place the oil in it.
- Warm it slightly.
- Gently massage your hair with warm almond oil in circular strokes.
- Massage your scalp for about ten to 15 minutes.
- Cover your hair with a hot towel creating a warm environment.
- This allows maximum penetration of the oil.
- Let your hair be for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Use a mild shampoo to wash your hair and condition it.
- For best results, use this remedy twice a week.
7. Honey and Yoghurt:
The combination of honey and yogurt helps you get rid of frizzy hair naturally. It makes your hair smooth and shinier with its emollient properties. Honey helps retain the moisture in your hair, and yogurt deep condition your hair effectively (5).
- Three tbsp of yogurt.
- One tbsp of honey.
- Place the ingredients into a bowl.
- Combine them thoroughly, forming a smooth paste.
- Gently apply the mixture to your hair from tips to scalp evenly.
- Let it stay on your hair for about 30 minutes.
- Use cold water and mild shampoo to wash your hair.
- Don’t forget to condition your hair.
8. Aloe Vera:
Aloe vera gives your hair a soft, smooth, and shiny finish when combined with a carrier oil. It minimizes moisture loss by forming a protective layer over your cuticles. Aloe vera has moisturizing properties making it one of the best home remedies for dry hair, frizzy, and damaged hair (6).
- ¼ cup of fresh aloe vera gel.
- ¼ cup of carrier oil of your choice.
- Take a bowl and mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Gently apply the mixture to your hair from tips to the scalp.
- Leave it on your hair for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo and use a conditioner afterwards.
- Using this mask twice a week will give you effective results.
Banana is a fruit that is available readily in all seasons. The antioxidant potential of bananas helps fight free radicles protecting your hair. The carbohydrates, potassium, and natural oils in this fruit not only nourish your hair but moisturize it well (7). Honey is a well-known humectant, and when combined with the goodness of banana, it acts as a natural treatment for frizzy hair (8).
- One ripe banana.
- Two tbsp of honey.
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil.
- Take a bowl and mash the ripe banana without lumps.
- Now add honey, oil to it and combine them thoroughly.
- Make sure there are no lumps.
- Gently apply the mixture to your hair, from tips to the scalp.
- Leave it for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Use shampoo to rinse off thoroughly.
- Finish with a conditioner.
- For too frizzy hair, use this remedy once a week.
Mayonnaise is a common condiment we use in any of our foods. But it also provides your hair with strength, nourishment, and shine, reducing the frizziness of your hair effectively. It controls the frizz by adding an extra layer of moisture.
- ¼ cup of mayonnaise.
- 1/3 cup of almond oil.
- 1 to 2 eggs.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl.
- Now add the mayonnaise and almond oil.
- Combine them forming a creamy mixture.
- Coat your hair generously with the mixture.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Let it stay for about 15 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a shampoo, and then use a conditioner.
- For effective results, use this remedy twice a week.
Tips to Control Frizzy Hair:
Although frizzy hair is a concern, you don’t have to lose sleep over it. By following some precautions, you can have stylish and frizz-free hair.
- It is always better to use lukewarm or cool water to wash your hair since hot water can cause cuticles to rise, making it frizz-up.
- If your hair is already frizzy, it is better to go easy with the heat styling tools.
- Invest in some satin pillow covers since cotton pillowcases soak up the moisture from your hair.
- Try to choose sulfate-free shampoos, and try not to wash your hair more than thrice a week.
- Use a hydrating conditioner after shampooing.
- Avoid using a towel to dry your hair since it makes your hair prone to breakage, making it rough by causing your cuticles to rise.
The beautifully curated list of home remedies for frizzy hair mentioned in this article will help you tame your hair. But this process doesn’t require expensive products. Try these remedies, and don’t forget to let us know how this article has helped you treat your hair’s frizz.