It may be the middle of winter, but you can still bring a little bit of the beach to your nail art with the latest manicure trend. It’s called the “sandicure,” and it’s exactly what it sounds like: a manicure with sand on it.
Coined by Lauren Dunne, co-founder of Washington, DC-based nail salon Varnish Lane, the sandicure is an adorable (and super simple) way to spice up your typical mani or pedi. Dunne’s inspiration is something we can all relate to: a desire to be on vacation forever. “Sprinkling island sand on freshly pedicured toes truly keeps the vacation alive,” she says, adding that it provides a “perfect transition to spring and summer looks.”
Ready to try it? Here’s how it’s done.
- Apply a base coat to protect your nails and make the look last.
- Paint on two coats of a polish. Dunne recommends picking a cheerful hue like coral to go with the beach theme.
- Take a pinch of sand (which you can buy at a home supply store) and lightly sprinkle it over your nails. Be sure to do this immediately after applying the second coat of polish to ensure it adheres.
- Allow the sand to set for three to five minutes.
- Finish up your manicure with a clear protective polish.
The result: a fun look that delivers the interest of glitter sans sparkle, making it a modern way to wear texture.