15 Best Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dry Skin Problems
Is it becoming tough managing your dry skin? Are you running out of options in dealing with dehydrated skin and associated issues irrespective of the moisture variant or topical cream you use? This article offers cost-effective home remedies for dry skin that can be easily incorporated into your skincare routine for effective results.
Dry skin is a surface that lacks moisture forming dry patches, cracks, and flaky texture on the skin’s top layer. Therefore, adding moisturizers may not always help retain moisture in your skin, whether in winter, summer, dry or humid conditions. Adding some natural remedies and lifestyle changes can greatly impact your skin’s health and hydration.
Let us go through this article for some of the best home remedies for dry skin you can try. Read on!
Causes And Risk Factors Of Dry Skin:
Fatty acids(lipids) in the skin are responsible for locking in moisture, which keeps your skin supple and soft. But when there is a lack of moisture in the skin, it decreases the lipids, making your skin dry, or called xerosis (1). Many reasons lead to dryness in your skin. Some of them are:
- During cold and dry months or when there are changes in the weather.
- Arid and semi-arid regions have dry air throughout the year.
- Central or portable heaters.
- Scalding showers.
- Presence of chlorinated water in pools.
- Use of soaps and detergents that have harsh chemicals.
- Use of skin cleansers excessively.
- If you have skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, etc.
- Health conditions like high blood pressure or medications of high cholesterol.
Home Remedies That Help Treat Dry Skin:
When you have cracked, itchy, and dull-looking dry skin, there is always a need for additional care and attention. Merely using tons of moisturizer is not always a solution to retain moisture in your skin, whether in winter, summer, dry or humid weather. So it is necessary to help your skin’s moisture-locking ability by including these home remedies for dry skin in your daily routine.
1. Sour Cream:
Sour cream is an excellent moisturizing agent that can make your skin smooth and supple because it has a good amount of lactic acid (2). This is a perfect home remedy for dry skin, and it helps reduce flakiness by moisturizing the surface thoroughly.
- Two tbsp of sour cream.
- Three tbsp of gram flour.
- Take a bowl and add ingredients to it.
- Combine the ingredients thoroughly until it forms a smooth paste.
- Clean your face with water.
- Apply the mixture to your face evenly.
- Let it stay for about 20 minutes.
- Use cold water to wash your face.
- Use this remedy every alternate day for effective results.
The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of oatmeal reduce issues associated with itching, making it one of the best home remedies for dry skin on the face (3). In addition, it helps heal the dry patches and visible cracks on your skin with its moisturizing properties (4). Therefore, it is the best home remedy for dry, itchy skin.
- Two to three tbsp of oatmeal.
- One tbsp of honey.
- ¼ cup of milk.
- Take a saucepan and warm up the milk.
- Add the warm milk to the bowl of oatmeal and mix it thoroughly.
- Add honey to the mixture after waiting for a few minutes
- Gently apply the mixture to your face evenly.
- Let it remain on the face for about ten minutes.
- Use scrubbing motions and remove the mixture using wet fingertips.
- Use cold water to rinse off your face.
- You can try this remedy once or twice a week for effective results.
Yogurt is considered one of the natural remedies for dry skin. In addition, it acts as an excellent moisturizer because it contains lactic acid that exfoliates your skin (5). Furthermore, according to studies, yogurt helps your skin’s elasticity and moisture retention (6). In addition, the use of honey keeps your skin hydrated, and sugar eliminates any flakiness from your skin.
- Three tbsp of sugar (granulated).
- ¼ cup of plain yogurt.
- Two tbsp of honey.
- Combine yogurt and honey in a bowl.
- Add the sugar to the mixture and combine the mixture thoroughly.
- Use gentle circular motions to apply the mixture to your face.
- Massage your face gently for a few minutes.
- Let it remain on your face for about five to ten minutes.
- Use cold water to rinse your face.
- Using this remedy once a week will give you good results.
4. Aloe Vera Gel:
Aloe vera gel is a perfect dry skin treatment at home; you can find this plant very quickly. It helps soothe and nourish your skin right after toning with the help of its moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties (7).
- Fresh aloe vera gel.
- Apply the fresh aloe vera gel to your face evenly.
- Use circular motions to massage your face.
- Let it remain for about ten minutes.
- Later apply a moisturizer.
Read More: Benefits of Aloe Vera for Face
5. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar helps adjust your skin’s PH levels to a normal range as it contains mild acids that help rebalance the production of the skin’s natural oils, making it one of the best dry skin care home remedies. Using cosmetic products and soaps might make our skin dry, leading to conditions like eczema and rosacea, and using ACV restores the skin’s PH levels as it acts as a mild acid (8).
- ½ tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- ½ tbsp of water.
- ½ tbsp of honey.
- Use water to dilute the apple cider vinegar and combine it with honey.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Use a cotton ball to apply the mixture to the entire face or the dry patches on your face.
- Let the mixture remain on the face for about ten minutes.
- Use cool water to wash your face.
- You can use this remedy once or twice a week for effective results.
Almonds have natural anti-aging benefits, according to studies (9). In addition, Almond oil is considered the best home remedy for dry skin because it helps deal with skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema with its emollient properties (10).
- Six to seven almonds.
- One tbsp of olive oil.
- Half a cup of fresh cream.
- Use water to boil the almonds for a few minutes.
- Rinse the almonds with cool water and strain them.
- Use fresh cream to presoak the almonds overnight.
- Blend the presoaked almonds with cream and oil until it forms a smooth paste.
- Apply the smooth mixture to your face evenly.
- Let it remain for about ten to 15 minutes.
- Use cool water to rinse your face.
- Use this remedy once a week for effective results.
7. Fuller’s Earth(Multani Mitti):
Multani mitti or fuller’s earth exfoliates the dead skin cells from your surface, making it one of the best homemade remedies for dry skin (11). You can eliminate dry skin efficiently within a few applications with a suitable ingredient combination.
- Two tbsp of fuller’s earth.
- One tbsp of cucumber juice.
- One tbsp of milk.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix them thoroughly, forming a smooth paste.
- You can add water to adjust the consistency.
- Apply the mixture to your face evenly and gently.
- Let it remain o the face for about fifteen minutes.
- Use plain water to rinse off your face.
- Use this remedy once a week for effective results.
Read More: Multani Mitti for Glowing Skin
Rosewater is a common ingredient found in many beauty products, and it helps maintain the overall health of your skin. In addition, it keeps your skin refreshed and moisturized by giving it a soothing feel (12). Its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties protect your skin from UV damage (13).
- A cotton pad.
- Dip the cotton pad in rosewater and cleanse your face by wiping your face with it.
- Apply a moisturizer once the liquid dries off naturally.
- You can use this remedy daily once you wash your face to maintain the health of your skin.
Avocado is a natural skin moisturizer loaded with vitamin E, a potent antioxidant (14). In addition, avocado can help provide nourishment to dry and chapped skin. It is a rich source of nutrient waxes, proteins, minerals, and vitamins, making it the best home remedy for internal dryness (15).
- ½ an avocado.
- One tbsp of olive oil.
- One tbsp of milk.
- Mash the avocado in a bowl and add all the other ingredients.
- Combine them thoroughly, forming a smooth paste.
- Apply the mixture to your face gently.
- Let it remain on the face for about 20 minutes.
- Use lukewarm water to wash your face.
- Use this remedy thrice a week for effective results.
10. Consume Vitamin E and Omega-3’s:
The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties present in Omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin E supplements help reduce the dryness of your skin by eliminating oxidative stress and inflammation from your body (16) (17). But make sure to consult a doctor before consuming any supplements to avoid allergic reactions.
11. Drink Plenty Of Water:
Staying hydrated is yet another home remedy for dry, cracked skin that can be implemented without too much fuss. All you have to do is drink at least eight glasses of water every day. But, of course, if you live in a hot climate or work out regularly, you need to drink more water.
Another way to keep your skin protected and nourished is to consume foods that give your body the proper nutrients, such as watermelons, oranges, celeries, cucumbers, tomatoes, and muskmelons.
Read More: Health Benefits of Drinking Water
12. Use Oil-Based Makeup:
Water-based makeup contains ingredients such as dimethicone that might make your dry skin even more dehydrated. Instead, choose oil-based or cream-based cosmetics that can provide that extra hydration for your dry skin. You can prevent the formation of skin peeling and dry patches and give your skin a dewy finish and healthy glow by choosing the right makeup products.
13. Use Hyaluronic Serum:
Hyaluronic acid serum can be a perfect addition to your winter skincare routine that acts as an ideal home remedy for dry skin by making the surface hydrated, plump, and luminous. Since dry skin doesn’t produce enough oils to keep the surface wrinkle-free and plump, this skin type is prone to look aged faster. The water-retaining capacity of Hyaluronic acid helps keep your dry skin moisturized and plump (18).
The high water content and various skin-friendly vitamins in watermelon make it a natural home remedy for dry skin. In addition, according to porcine studies, watermelon has lycopene that helps reduce skin roughness and dryness (19). Therefore, using this remedy regularly can keep your skin hydrated and moisturized. Consuming watermelon can also be beneficial.
- One to two tbsp of fresh watermelon juice.
- One tbsp of honey.
- Combine the fresh juice and honey in a bowl.
- Use a cotton ball and gently apply the mixture to your face evenly.
- Let it stay on your face for about ten minutes.
- Use normal water to wash your face.
- Use this remedy twice a week for good results.
Vaseline is one of the commonly found products in many homes. It is made with petrolatum or petroleum jelly, which prevents water loss from the skin by locking in moisture, making it one of the best home remedies for extremely dry hands, legs, or face (20). However, it works best as an overnight treatment because it can be a little greasy.
- Take a small amount of jelly and massage your entire face with it.
- Leave the Vaseline on your face overnight.
- You can leave it for an extra hour and wipe the excess with tissue if you find it too sticky.
- You can apply this remedy daily for good results.
Tips For Treating Dry Skin:
To keep your dry skin youthful and moisturized, you must pay extra attention and care. By making these tips and remedies part of your lifestyle, you can see a massive difference in your dry skin, whichever season it might be. Keep in mind the following do’s and don ts:
- Avoid intake of caffeine in excess.
- Avoid staying in the air conditioning for long hours.
- Avoid smoking and excessive exposure to the sun.
- Don’t shower too often.
- Avoid peeling your dry skin.
- Keep your skin moisturized regularly to promote water retention in your skin.
- Eliminate excess dry skin by using dry skin-friendly exfoliators.
- Consume fibre-rich foods and stay hydrated.
- Use SLS, mineral oil, and paraben-free products.
Although dealing with dry skin can be uncomfortable, the home remedies and tips for dry skin mentioned in this article will help you tackle the condition naturally and cost-effectively. However, consult a dermatologist if your condition persists even after using all the remedies mentioned above to rule out any underlying health condition and treat it accordingly.