Coconut water (nariyal pani in Hindi) is a clear liquid found inside the coconut fruit or coconut palm. This water has a sweet and nutty taste and is considered as a refreshing drink that contains easily digested carbohydrates and electrolytes. These coconuts grow on large palm trees known scientifically as Cocos nucifera. The liquid inside the coconut fruit is formed naturally, which includes 94% of water and less fat. Coconut water is often confused with coconut milk.
Coconut milk is made from the grated coconut mixed with water that is high in fat content. Because of the high amounts of electrolytes present, coconut water is often consumed by athletes, sportspersons, and persons doing regular work out for the regeneration of electrolytes lost in the form of sweat. Apart from this, coconut water has some skin amazing benefits when applied topically on the surface. Coconut water is a widely used product all over the world because of the essential nutrients present in it. In this article, we will look into the benefits of coconut water for the skin and face.
Properties of Coconut Water:
1. Coconut water is a good source of nutrients. This water contains 95% of water and very little fat, and it also has fewer calories. One cup of coconut water (240ml) contains
- Carbohydrates – 9gms
- Fiber – 3gms
- Protein – 2gms
- Magnesium – 15% of the RDI
- Vitamin C – 10% of the RDI
- Manganese – 17% of the RDI
- Sodium – 11% of the RDI
- Potassium – 17% of the RDI
- Calcium – 6% of the RDI
2. Coconut water that is found in young green coconuts is a good source of Vitamin C and many other vital minerals.
3. Some studies showed that coconut water has antioxidant properties that fight the free radicals produced inside the body.
4. Coconut water has some magnesium content in it, which may increase insulin sensitivity that controls the blood sugar levels.
5. This water is a natural acid sterile solution, rich in essential amino acids, vitamins, and minerals that defines the remineralizing property of coconut water.
6. This serum or coconut water has a high concentration of magnesium and potassium and contains many essential minerals such as manganese, sulfur, zinc, and silicon. Coconut water also contains cell growth factors and polysaccharides in it.
Also Read: Benefits of Coconut Water for Babies
Benefits of Coconut Water for Skin:
Coconut water, abundantly available in tropical countries, is beneficial for both skin and hair, and it does miracles on dry and lifeless skin by nourishing it. Some of the benefits are listed down:
1. Treats Minor Skin Irritations:
- Skin Irritations or rashes are generally caused on dry skin, which are so irritable and even cause a burning sensation.
- Coconut water can be used for skin infections and irritations as it has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Apply coconut water on the infected part gently and massage it in circular motions till the water gets absorbed into the skin.
- Using this water twice a day can give you good results.
- Looking young, even in the mid-40s, has become a significant challenge for many people. For this, they use various chemical-based anti-aging creams keeping aside the natural products.
- Coconut water is one such natural product that reduces the signs of aging on the face. Cytokines are the proteins present in coconut water that encourages cell growth and cell activation.
- Firstly, clean your face with a face wash and pat dry.
- Spread a sufficient quantity of tender coconut water on your hands and massage it on your face gently in the clockwise direction and anti-clockwise direction.
- Drinking a moderate quantity of coconut water daily also helps in anti-aging.
3. Skin Moisturization:
- Coconut water is very light in consistency; because of this property, it can be used as a natural moisturizer.
- This water also helps in reducing the oil and greasiness on the skin. This is highly recommended for oily skinned people.
- This water gets absorbed fastly into the skin and thus makes the face less oily.
- Cleanse your face regularly by massaging the coconut water on your face in circular motions, leave it to dry itself.
- You can make a pack of lemon juice with coconut water; applying this mixture on the face will make it soft and fresh.
4. Natural Cleanser and Toner:
- Coconut water has the ability to cleanse the face and naturally moisturizes the skin. This also helps in maintaining the pH levels of the skin and keeps it hydrated all the time.
- Coconut water also helps in removing the makeup from the face. Dab some cotton in coconut water and use this for removing the makeup.
Also Read: Is Coconut Water Good For Diabetes?
5. Instant Glow:
- The vital nutrients present in the coconut water helps in giving an instant glow to the skin when washed with the coconut water every day.
- Cleaning the face with coconut water gives you a glowing, smooth, and even-toned skin.
- Coconut water, when used with turmeric and red sandalwood, gives you an unimaginable glow with a smooth and flawless complexion.
- Take some turmeric powder and red sandalwood in a bowl and pour some coconut water into it. Mix properly to make a paste from it, apply this paste as a face mask, and leave it for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the mask gently and wash your face with fresh water and observe the glow on your face.
Read More: Oatmeal Face Packs Benefits
- Pigmentation means the coloring of the skin, and melanin is responsible for this. Excessive melanin causes hyperpigmentation, which in turn causes the skin to darken.
- Vitamin C present in the coconut water helps in reducing pigmentation.
- A pack can be made by mixing the fuller’s earth with the coconut water and apply on the face to reduce the blemishes and dark spots on the face.
7. Removes Dark Circles:
- Dark circles and puffiness underneath the eyes are one of the main concerns that most of the people are facing these days.
- Coconut water, being an antioxidant, helps in reducing the dark circles formed around the eyes.
- Dab some cotton in coconut water and rub it around the eyes where the dark circles are visible twice a day. By doing so regularly, you can witness the reduction of dark circles within a few days.
8. Boosts Overall Skin Health:
- The loss of water and essential salts from the body leads to dehydration. This dehydration can cause the skin to become dry and irritable.
- Drinking plenty of coconut water daily can help in hydrating and revitalizing the salts inside the body.
- This makes the body healthy from inside and plump and glowing from the outside.
Read Also: Benefits of Coconut Water During Pregnancy
9. Sun Protection:
- Sun has some harmful UV rays that damage the skin and destroy the epithelial cells causing skin tan.
- Coconut water is believed to remove mild sun tan from the face.
- Apply coconut water along with fuller’s earth (Multani Mitti) as a face mask daily for a month or two. Although this is a slow process, it is natural and chemical-free.
- This natural face pack removes dark spots and tan leaving your skin with a radiant glow.
10. Reduces Acne and Pimples:
- Our body naturally secrets an oily substance called sebum from the sebaceous glands, which is essential for the protection of skin.
- But, when this oil gets secreted in large amounts, the dirt gets trapped on the skin and face, which attracts bacteria causing pimples and acne.
- Coconut water is a natural way of getting rid of acne and pimples from the face leaving it smooth and glowing.
- The anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties of coconut water help in reducing the formation of pimples and acne on the face.
- Prepare a mild toner with coconut water and honey, dab cotton in it, and rub the toner on the affected area. The other way is to rinse the face gently with coconut water and apply a thin layer of coconut oil on the skin.
Coconut is a natural gift from God that can be used in different forms, such as coconut water, coconut oil, and coconut milk, etc. Coconut has many health benefits and is also being used in beauty and hair products for a good reason. Drinking coconut water is considered safe; applying it on the skin is also risk-free because this is free from any chemicals. So, no need to buy any expensive beauty products, instead try drinking coconut water and applying it on the face to obtain healthy and glowing skin. It is suggested to drink coconut water in moderate quantities because too much coconut water increases the potassium levels (hyperkalemia), which is dangerous and can lead to adverse heart conditions. If your goal is to have healthy and glowing skin, incorporate coconut water in your daily routine.
Also Read: Coconut Water for Hair Growth
1. Is Coconut Water Safe to Apply on The Skin?
Ans: Coconut water is generally safe to apply on the skin because it is a natural product and free from any chemicals. But, if your skin is too sensitive to any changes, first use coconut water on a small part of the skin and check for any allergies.
2. Are Coconut Water and Coconut Milk The Same?
Ans: Coconut water and coconut milk are not the same. Coconut water is formed naturally inside the young green coconuts. This helps in nourishing the coconut from inside. Coconut milk is made by adding fresh water to the grated coconut forming a white liquid.
3. Does Coconut Water Have Any Side Effects?
Ans: Drinking coconut water or applying coconut water on skin is usually safe and almost has no side effects. But, drinking excess of coconut water can increase the potassium levels in the body resulting in heart complications.